We are an open, accepting and caring family dedicated to following the teachings of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors . . . everyone is welcome at Pine Street Church. We strive to nurture one another spiritually and emotionally as we share the grace and truth of Christ with the world.
We adhere to the historic doctrines of the Christian faith and the United Methodist tradition and desire to share the grace and truth of Christ with the world. We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and view it as our guide for faith and life.
The mission of Pine Street United Methodist Church is to live the Gospel and to make disciples for Jesus Christ through Christian education, inspirational worship, spiritual growth opportunities, caring ministry and outreach to the community.
Pine Street United Methodist Church has played a significant role in the development of Methodism in the Williamsport area for more than 180 years.
In 1769 John Wesley appointed two missionaries to America. In 1770 an Englishman named Amariah Sutton built a cabin near Lycoming Creek. Richard Parriot, a Methodist circuit rider, organized the area's first Methodist class in the home of Amariah Sutton in 1790. In 1805 the growing congregation erected Lycoming Chapel where Calvary United Methodist Church now stands.
In 1824 land was purchased on Pine Street, about a mile east of where the chapel was located, and a small brick church was built in in 1826. Lycoming Chapel was torn down.
The congregation grew to 280 in 1844 and a larger church was built. In 1868 the church was further enlarged to accommodate 1000 people. The Williamsport Women's Christian Temperance Union crusade was officially launched in Pine Street Church in 1874.
In the years from 1857 to 1890 the people of Pine Street Church established missions and Sunday schools in the area which eventually became the South Williamsport, Duboistown, Mulberry Street, Bethel, Grace Street, Calvary, and Wesley United Methodist Churches.
The facilities were again outgrown and a new building was dedicated in 1910 seating 2,500 persons.
In February 1977, shortly after the 150th Anniversary celebration, the church and parsonage were destroyed by fire. The congregation decided to rebuild on the same site and expand outreach activities to the community.
A modern structure was built and dedicated in October 1980. In 1991 the building was enlarged to accomodate the growing Sunday School. The church now occupies the entire block bounded by Pine, Edwin, Laurel, and North Streets. A second, adjacent block was acquired and cleared for church parking.
Today Pine Street United Methodist Church provides a full range of worship, study, fellowship, and spiritual growth activities. There are many opportunities for involvement: church school classes for all ages, active youth programs, a Stephen Ministry, a single adult ministry, Bible study classes, vocal and bell choirs, and outreach ministries.